Comcast sucks, time to snip it

Discussion in 'Help & Resources' started by mdigiorgio35, Sep 25, 2017.

1. mdigiorgio35

mdigiorgio35 New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    So I am still one of the millions who pay comcast ridiculous monthly fees and i'm tired of it. Done a lot of research and think I am sold on getting the amazon fire tv/stick with kodi. I have an alexa and think that is my best route. I have a list waiting for me on amazon with all the gadgets I want to buy to make my house "smart."

Now for the wifi, I probably sound the opposite of what I am trying to do with my house, but I need help with this one. If i were to purchase a router online, will this suffice for internet? Do i need a modem/internet provider solely for wifi and if so, who is the best one to go through? I realize it can depend on where I am located, but Mass has Fios and Comcast. Reading all the articles online don't totally spell it out so I turn to the (hopefully) educated members of this forum.

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

Kodi: I am personally not a big fan of Kodi as it never seems to work as well as advertised. Just my opinion.

Internet: Pick between which ISP works best for you (price / cap / speeds). We had 20mbps for a family of 5 for a long time, and it worked pretty well. About the only lag we ever noticed was the live streaming of sports.

Modem / Router: I am not familiar with FIOS, so I will have to rely upon someone else. As to a modem with Comcast, I always suggest to go with your own modem if they are charging you monthly for it. I also suggest going with a certified refurbished one to save a few bucks. My current one (I am with TWC - Spectrum) is refurbished and around 3 years old.

As to the router, I personally prefer to have separate devices for my modem and router. You should not have to go crazy ($$$$$$) to obtain a solid router. But, one in the $80-120 range should be ok.

mdigiorgio35 likes this.