Great idea if you really love buffering!

Discussion in 'Sling TV' started by bkl9678, Oct 17, 2015.

1. bkl9678

bkl9678 New Member

Oct 17, 2015
    I have canceled my subscription today because this service is CONSTANTLY buffering. I cannot take it anymore. I have NEVER been able to watch ESPN, ESPN2, HGTV, TNT, TBS, etc without it buffering several times. It is so frustrating and not worth the $20 I am paying. I cut the cord in May and currently stream Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime and CBS AllAccess and I NEVER have any problems with these. I am using a Roku3 for my streaming. I am on TWC for my internet with 300mbps and located in Kansas City, so not in a rural area where internet is an issue. Their is NO reason that I should have these buffering issues, and I don't with any other service. I don't know what the issue is with Sling TV but the annoyance factor has finally led me to believe it is a lost cause. (Yes, I have validated my internet speed, uninstalled and reinstalled, etc, etc, etc and the problem persists.) When and if they ever get this fixed, I'll try again but until then I'm out. Not sure why others are not reporting the same issues on forums like this because other people that I actually talk to that have (or had) Sling TV report the same problem. Good luck to others who decide to get Sling TV.

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    If you still have access, I'd like you to try something.
    Pull up a game or show that likely has very low appeal; something few would be interested in watching. See if it buffers. I bet it doesn't. Switch to something with very high appeal. I bet it does.

I don't have Sling TV but from what I've read, I think the issue is at Sling's end. I don't think they have the server capacity to push high volume. I've heard bad things about their buggy Roku app also.

4. bkl9678

bkl9678 New Member

Oct 17, 2015
    I think you're right. My problem is always on ESPN, ESPN2 and quite a bit on HGTV (but not always). I have spent the last hour on some dumb show on TNT and had no buffering problems but as soon as I went back to ESPN2 (Mike and Mike), the buffering was back! UGH. This is my last day for Sling TV. My subscription runs out after today--have to be honest here, as a sports junkie, I am not sure how well I am going to like just listening to podcasts on my ipad and/or computer but going to give it a try.

5. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Without a doubt the biggest issue for me in cutting the cable tiers (I still have basic) was the loss of the sports channels (especially college football). It has been somewhat a pain and listening to the games via the ESPN app does not quite do it for me. I had contemplated subscribing to Sling TV for that specific reason, but your story and several others like it have kept me from doing so.

6. frankiestage

frankiestage New Member

Sep 13, 2015
    I had Sling for maybe three weeks. But it buffered/froze regularly (multiple times/hr); had limited offerings that I liked (the two ESPN channels, basically); played irritating music during sports timeouts (I'd prefer to see regular commercials); and had the nerve to ask for more money for movies over the already absurd $20/mo. So I happily let Sling go. If this is typical of their service, I'm shocked they're still in business.

7. raqball

raqball New Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Cancelled my subscription today as well.. Buffer, buffer, buffer and a little more buffering.

Not even worth $2 in it's current state. The Roku app also caused the system to reboot several times. This is the only app that has caused a Roku reboot...

I'm done with it.. Hopefully someone else comes along and offers a similar service in the future.

LeoIrish likes this.
  8. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I, too, am tired of all the buffering issues, but when it comes to ESPN, there is an answer. Use the WatchESPN app. You get access for being a SlingTV subscriber, plus you get ESPN3! Works a ton better than SlingTV.

LeoIrish likes this.
  9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

Nov 13, 2015
    That's a bummer. I'm not very familiar with SlingTV and have never used it, but one thing that I cannot stand is buffering. It drives me absolutely insane, especially when I'm in the middle of my television show or movie. I cannot imagine if I was in the middle of a sports game. That would be more irritating than anything.

10. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Watched the entire Monday Night Football game on the WatchESPN app last night and only had one Loading... screen pop up (for about five seconds), and that was on a Roku stick.

11. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    When I still had a subscription which included ESPN, I did use the WatchESPN app on many times, and was very happy with it. Further, as many college games are shown via the ESPN3 channel, you can see a great amount of games via the app you would never get on one of the channels.

12. tiffaninichole

tiffaninichole Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    That sucks. I hate buffering with a fiery passion. LOL. I would hate to shell out money on a product that doesn't end up delivering what it was supposed to. Do you think your device could be faulty in some way? I've read mostly positive things about Roku, so I'm wondering if there's a wire crossed in there somewhere that's causing it to misbehave.

13. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Doesn't matter the device, SlingTV is just a buffering nightmare. On my Roku4, Roku Stick, AppleTV or computer- it's all the same. They really need to get their act together before some other company comes along that is more stable.

tiffaninichole likes this.
  14. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Cancelled my subscription as well, far too much buffering.

15. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Well, actually, buffering here in my country is quite common because the standard internet connection here is...let's just say the fastest internet service here isn't even 1/4 of the speed of the average data service in America. So yes, we are used to buffering in some ways that I cannot really be a good judge of how slow a certain show is loading in a certain streaming site.

I do get your point though, it can be frustrating to wait for a show to buffer. In SlingTV's case, it might be them who has a problem, their server or service. So I think it's a wise choice for you to discontinue if you are not satisfied with the service.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016