Still Amazes me that AIV succeeds

Discussion in 'Amazon Instant Video' started by Lost in Delaware, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Am I the only one who despises AIV?

I have been a Prime customer for years, but other than a couple of digital titles that I mistakenly bought from them, they could do away with their video service and I could care less.

The prime selection is horrendous. Start watching a TV series that is marked as Prime and suprise!!! After the first season or two they want to charge to watch the rest. Or if you find some Prime movies and add them to your list, you better watch them immediately because chances are that tomorrow they will no longer be free via Prime.

And the AIV Roku app interface? Oh my, what a disaster. Probably one of the most amateur pieces of junk I have EVER seen.

OK..I'm done..lol

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    As you know from another post, I do not despise AIV. In fact, our usage of the service has increased quite a bit over the last couple of years. This is due to not only the originals they have been releasing, but also the other shows & movies they have available. Plus, they have some of the best tweens shows out there (important for our house).

As to the Prime / non-Prime designator, it does not cause me an issue. I know some of the problems you reference are most likely related to the deals they struck (ex: the HBO / Cinemax deal where the season has to be released at least three years’ prior before appearing under “Prime”). I just finished watching S2 of Veep – and I realize I have to wait until next year to watch S3. I am also watching other shows such as Boardwalk Empire in the same manner.

Regarding the interface on Roku – I have to admit it is not very pleasant. For me, I just want to be able to find something on my watchlist and start watching it. If the interface can handle it, then I am good to go.

Question: Have you watched any of the originals (ex: Bosch / Red Oaks / Transparent / Mozart)? If yes – thoughts? If no – why?

Lost in Delaware likes this.
  4. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    I have not watched anything on AIV for awhile now, despite being a Prime customer. I really really ...and yes, really...hate their Roku app..lol

The TV series issue I was talking about is a little different than just licensing....what I was talking about was the fact that they have the rights for a whole season, even an older one, but only have the first season or two able to watch on Prime and then you have to buy the rest. Even though they are old. And WORSE is when you start watching a series, and when you started watching season 1 the nest season was listed Prime, but by time you finish season 1 they have changed season 2 over to a pay for view. THAT is what I really despise

5. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Roku: I should note I have a Roku 3 - but most of the time I use one of the Fire TVs we have (1-1st gen / 1-2nd gen). Without a doubt, it is easier to navigate than the Roku version.

I have not run into this issue at this time, so I do not have any experience with it with the exception of waiting for the next season to come out. I will post if I do encounter this in the future.

6. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    I thought about trying Fire TV, but the lack of a Vudu app kills it for me. I buy a lot of stuff on Vudu

LeoIrish likes this.
  7. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I have some stuff on Vudu - usually because there was an offer movie. If we did purchase media on a regular basis, and did not use Amazon to the degree we do, I could see using Vudu more.